In the 21st century, websites and internet work as a complementary element in the business environment. People engaging in education, business, and social networkings are all exposed to the internet. Development if technologies also enhanced the use of internet in our day to day life. For instance, uses of mobile, tablets, laptops etc, made our life easy to access internet. Consequently, the online business firms facilitate the interaction between the customers and the sellers. To reach the products and services to the customers, companies spend substantial money, maintain and develop websites that effectively makes raise the company’s revenue. To run the website in a cost effective manner and efficient way, the software need to be taken into consideration.
Developing different websites for different devices is cost inefficient and time consuming. People are more exposed to use of internet through mobile devices anywhere, anyplace, hoping to save their valuable time. Companies are continuously searching new ways to reduce these effects, as a result an effective website needed to be developed so that it is compatible with any kind of devices including desktop, laptops, mobiles etc. The future’s transactions and dealings in business are connected to websites and effective uses of these are connected to Fluid and responsive websites.
Responsive design is a technique that responds to the size of the screen of a gadget. This design adapts to fit to any devices such as tablet, mobile phone, internet etc, where ever it is displayed on. Google plus is such an example of Responsive design that fits in every screen of almost every devices.
It is a flexible layout for designing websites. It is also called as liquid layout. The components within the layout are based upon percentage widths. It allows the layout to change according to the resolution of the user screen. Few settings such as margins and the layout is based upon percentages.
Advantages of Responsive Web Design
- It is user friendly
- Similar viewing experience with different browsers and devices
- The SEO strategy can be restored because of the Responsive Web Design
- Individual can keep a particular link for every devices and browsers
- Companies can handle the same HTML and content in different devices
Disadvantages of Responsive Web design
- It does not fit always in some devices. There are some websites which do not fit in mobile but fits in PC after being resized
- Different people have different needs for which these websites may not satisfy their requirements
- It is quit time consuming as it takes 20% more time than standard site
Advantages of a Fluid Website
- The websites are user friendly they will look great with every resolution.
- The Rule of Thirds enables the page or site that will be displayed on in front of every monitor
- The well designed horizontal scroll bars disappears, even on the smallest of screens.
Disadvantages of a Fluid Website
- The determination of the view of the layout looks on multiple screens which makes to difficult to determine
- Designers often check only the layout on one or two resolutions so it is time consuming
- The difficultly level is very high when it is compared to designing a fixed website
- Inserting photos, videos, etc. can make the format difficult because multiple widths will have to be set to fit well in every different kind of resolution.
- Long lines of text are considered very difficult to read in fluid layouts whereas people prefer to read informative short lines