Google Penguin was launched on April 24, 2012. It is a name assigned to the Google algorithm update. The Google Penguin is developed to affect almost 3.1% queries in English language and approximately 3% search queries in other languages including German, Chinese and Arabic. Many following updates have been introduced in the market after the launch of Google Penguin, on May 25, 2012. The first update of Google Penguin was launched named as Penguin 1.1. The advanced feature of the update was to affect a number of English searches and also to punish and ban the content that was being ranked at a higher place with the help of different manipulative techniques. Along with all this, the Google Penguin update 1.1 also catches the excessive spammers due to which some websites have also faced huge losses to be searched on Google with the help of specific keywords.
Before the launch of Google Penguin, Google had accomplished the aim of launching another algorithm update series by the name of Panda that was released in the year 2011. The purpose of Panda was to downsize the websites that supplied a poor user experience. Google had also launched a page layout algorithm which has a different purpose and together all three of the series update help Google in displaying higher quality websites on the top of Google’s search engine results. This also motivated people to update their websites with better and higher quality content in order to maintain a good rank on the Google’s result page. Also, it made it easier for the searchers to look for high quality content without putting any extra efforts.
A later update of Google Penguin was launched on October 5, 2012 which was developed to affect 0.3% of the queries while the previous update Google Penguin 1.1 affected one tenth percentage of the queries. Up till now there have been 5 update versions of Google Penguin that have been launched by Google:
- Penguin 1: it was the first update launched by Google Penguin on April 24, 2012 and had the ability to affect 3.1% queries in English language.
- Penguin 2: the second update launched by Google Penguin on May 26, 2012 had the ability to affect about 0.1% queries.
- Penguin 3: this update was released on October 5, 2012 and was able to affect around 0.3% queries.
- Penguin 4: it was released on May 22, 2013 and had the ability to impact 2.3% queries, this update is also known as Penguin 2.0.
- Penguin 5: the latest update that has been launched by Google Penguin is the Penguin 5 which is also known as Penguin 2.1 and was released on October 4, 2012. It has the ability to impact approximately 1% queries.
A positive impact that was introduced because of the launch of Google Penguin was the websites had to remove the negative content and the negative links present in them because if detected by Google Penguin; the website had to face serious consequences. Now the website developers launch website after carefully considering the content that they have uploaded on the website because they know that it can be caught by the Google Penguin. Any website that is new or is not scanned through the Google Penguin is scanned whenever a new update of the series is launched, therefore with the launch of every update the websites’ managers have to remove the links again in order to secure their website from being removed or from lowering its current ranking on the Google’s result page.