Permalink or slug is one of the most important entity of search engine’s ‘main food’ which they will prioritize and then index it for searching. A good slug or permalink may bring more visibility to search engines and that is what we already know about. But sometime we may had trouble in updating permalink or slug, even after we delete the page or post in WordPress. Let see how we can fix this..
- Let say we have created a page, named for example About (slug also named about). Suddenly we change our mind and delete it.
- After sometime, we decided that we saw the necessity of the page and recreate a page with the same name and slug.
- However, the result returned name About but the slug became about-2. Even after several time editing and renaming (even deleting also), still return the same value.
Have you ever faced something like this?
I know the solution is quite easy for most people especially those who are wordpress savvy. 🙂 This is quite useful for newbie like me..
- Go to your wordpress Pages menu, you will surely find something like ‘All‘, ‘Published‘, ‘Draft‘ (if you have draft saved) and ‘Trash‘.
- The solution is in ‘Trash‘. Click it and you will see the original about slug and permalink. This is all where your deleted pages will go into.
- Hover onto it, select and click ‘Delete permanently’.
- Now, you can create or edit the un-edited slug about-2 page into about page.
Problem fixed! Enjoy!