Graphic designing is the field of designing where one works to create and design different kinds of presentations, magazine, book, journal covers, web-sites, blogs, logos, posters-shirts, and many kinds of designs used for printing and publications. Herewith are the steps needed in creating captivating layouts using the principles of graphic design.
Steps to be followed in the process of graphic designing
– Carefully observe and analyze the target population
– Create a firm concept on which the design would be build
– keenly explore the places where the design would be displayed
– set up goals
– collect and assemble texts, items, and images to be used in the design
– select typography
– get the items together to finalize the design
– cross-check the outcome
– redesign and modify if necessary
Creating appealing layouts
A layout is the organization and arrangement of the graphic designs and items on a page of a book, magazine, publication, web-site, blog or shirts. In other words it is the overall presentation of the graphics designed by a graphic designer. An effective layout is one that presents the design in a visually appealing manner that helps to communicate the underlying concept to the audience. Following are the general rules for creating attractive and effective layout designs
– Figure out the philosophy, idea and purpose behind the design, that is, what the design is intended for.
– always have a concept that goes in line with the design to communicate the central idea of the design to the viewers
– Select the medium on which the layout would be presented like a webpage, book cover, pamphlet, business card and etc.
– Keep in mind the population toward which the design is targeted, that is, their ethnic background, literacy level, and interests.
Organizing and arranging the layouts
Effectively designed layouts are quickly picked up the viewers and help them to explore the page conveniently. If readers have to put effort in going through the illustrations and graphics over a page, they are likely to withdraw. Arrange and order the required items, graphical elements, images and text in a way that clearly demonstrate the purpose and philosophy of the medium for which the design and layout was created.
Rules for arranging layouts to make them look more appealing
– Use items and elements of varying shapes and sizes.
– Work through in a hierarchical fashion
– Place important details, texts and images in an easily viewable positions
– Make use of lines to group similar items
– Leave enough empty white spacing in your layout to provide the users with a cleaner interface
– Group the important items together in a kind of box and place it on the top left of the page. Research shows that the top left area of a page is read first by majority of readers.
– Emphasize important points, bold, and highlight them adequately.
– Use light colored background when using dark colored fonts, and use dark background when incorporating light and dim colored fonts.
By following the above stated guidelines, you can attempt to create immensely creative and unique layouts that would surely add great value to the graphic designs you created.
Awesome cover design. I think very creative and inspiring examples.