Many managed IT service providers struggle to thrive in the IT industry despite having the much needed experience, expertise and capital. Often, trained professionals (including CIOs) at these companies tend to ignore the best practices followed by the most successful IT companies in the world.
Why should these methods apply to us, they ask? Well, these are tried-and-tested methods that ensure you spend time and money trying out methods you aren’t sure of.
- Take a Step by Step Approach: You don’t have to try swallowing it all at once. Be methodical and implement a bigger strategy one step at a time.
- Start cataloging IT Services: Each person in the organization should be on the same page on the different service offered and various technologies they involve. A service catalog can help you do exactly that and also enable you to address users’ requirements in a satisfactory way.
- Create Instructions: You don’t want your staff to spend several hours each day trying to scan through books, tutorials and help material to solve each IT support issue, do you? A detailed instruction set will help!
- Use Established Standards: Tried and tested standards such as Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and Control Objectives for Information and related Technology (COBIT) must be adhered to.
- Create a Configuration Management Database: A configuration management database or CMDB makes it easier to identify, manage or track a given technology that forms the basis of different IT support services or managed IT services your company provides.
- Get the Right People Onboard: At the end of the day, it’s your team of developers, business analysts and other professionals that will deliver “value” to a client. So, make sure you choose the right ones. Try finding people who can bridge the gap between IT services and business knowledge.
- Listen: Be attentive and try your best to address users’ needs. Many organizations simply fail to do this.